Another really healthy quinoa recipe with pecans, green herbs and (my favourite fish) green salmon. It’s pretty simple – it’s a salad recipe and contains only fresh ingredients which we all need at this time of the year.
It’s also important to blanch quinoa before we mix it with other ingredients. Why do we have to do this? Because it has a natural coating which contains an enzyme. It actually gives a bitter taste.
So let’s check out this delicious recipe:
- 1 cup quinoa
- juice from 1-2 lemons (about 1/4+ cup – preferably Meyer lemons)
- 4 TBSP olive oil 1 small clove garlic
- grated sea salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped Chipotles, to taste
- 1/2 bunch green onions thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1/3 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 TBSP honey
- 4 thin fresh Salmon paillards (thin slices of skinless fresh Salmon fillet)
- First-in big pot of boiling water with big pinch salt, add the quinoa, and let boil for 4 minutes. Strain and rinse.
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, chipotles, and honey in a bowl.
- In another pot, add 1 cup water, a pinch of salt, and a little olive oil.
- When it comes to the boil, add the blanched Quinoa, cover, and turn down heat to LOW. Let cook, as for rice, for about 6 mins or so, or until all the water is absorbed. Keep cover on for additional 5 mins.
- Grind black pepper over salmon paillards, sprinkle with sea salt. Get a Grill pan extremely hot, then briefly sear each side of the salmon for about 1 minute each side, depending on thickness.
- Fluff up Quinoa witha fork, turn it out into a bowl.
Mix the chopped Green onions and Cilantro, and the dressing, with the quinoa, then mix in the pecans. Top the Quinoa mix with the Salmon, and squeeze more fresh lemon juice over the salmon.