This is a perfect spring or summer salad, it’s citrusy, full of vitamins and protein-packed ingredients. You really should try this at home:
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions $
- 2 teaspoons grated blood orange rind
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind $
- 2 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice $
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro $
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup blood orange sections, chopped (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup diced peeled avocado $
- 6 whole kumquats, seeded and sliced
- 2 medium beets, cooked and cut into wedges
- 1. To prepare dressing, combine first 10 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Set aside.
- 2. To prepare salad, place quinoa in a fine sieve, and place sieve in a large bowl. Cover quinoa with water. Using your hands, rub grains together for 30 seconds; rinse and drain. Repeat procedure twice. Drain well.
- 3. Combine 1 3/4 cups water, quinoa, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Combine quinoa, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, blood orange sections, avocado, and kumquats in a large bowl, tossing gently to combine. Add dressing; toss gently to coat salad. Spoon 1 cup salad onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with about 1/2 cup beets.