Quinoa is getting more and more popular. Jennifer Daskevich’s tasty quinoa recipe is in the final to win the Foster Farm’s chicken cooking contest.
No wonder because this recipe is cool, healthy and has a Middle Eastern flavor.
Recipe from Sign On San Diego:
Chicken and Quinoa With Figs, Spinach and Mint
- 6 Foster Farms chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 6 cloves California garlic, divided use
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves, divided use
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided use
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 large shallots, minced
- ½ cup dried California mission figs, halved
- 2 cups filtered water, divided use
- 3 cups California spinach, chopped
Put chicken chunks in a large plastic bag with zipper-lock top Remove leaves from three sprigs of thyme and mince. In small bowl, whisk together 5 tablespoons olive oil, juice and zest from lemon, two minced garlic cloves, the minced thyme, 1 tablespoon of the chopped mint, black pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Pour mixture over chicken, turning to coat well. Set aside and allow to marinate for 30 minutes or up to one hour.
Rinse quinoa well and drain thoroughly. In medium saucepan over medium heat, toast quinoa for two minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1¾ cups water to quinoa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove quinoa from heat and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
While quinoa is cooking, warm remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat in large skillet. Add minced shallot and remaining salt; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining garlic and stir for additional minute. Add figs, remaining one-fourth cup of water and the remaining three sprigs of thyme. Cook until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade and add to fig mixture. Continue to cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through, about 7 minutes. Remove sprigs of thyme.
Fluff quinoa with fork and transfer to skillet. Stir well to combine. Add spinach and remaining mint, stirring gently to incorporate all ingredients.
Thank you for this great recipe Jennifer and good luck with the cooking contest!!